As for Apparel decorating and printing , there are several methods such as Embroidery, Direct to Garment (DTG), Screen Printing, Sublimation, and Heat Press to be used. To ensure our customer satisfaction towards our services, first thing first we need to help our customer define what kind of printing that actually suitable for their needs. Provided below is several explanation of available printing services and why they might be right (or wrong) for our customer choice.
(1) Direct to Garment (DTG)
This kind of printing can be said as new method of apparel decorating. The technique use are by printing an artwork directly to the apparel just like common printing technique used to print on paper. However the color on the end product may look not too bold and the artwork may fade after a few washes.
As I said, the technology is new. Therefore, if you want to wear this kind of print quality often, it is suggested not to choose this type of printing as your shirt decoration.
- minimums setup (fast)
- print variants of color well
- fade after 30-40 washes depends on the washing treatment
- not displaying good quality on dark apparel
- colors are not too bold
- expensives when ordered in large amount
(2) Heat Press Printing
Next, i would like to explain about heat press printing. This type of printing works by transfering printed design to a garment through heat and pressure. The printed design is printed using special ink on a special paper allowing you to print full color images on garments.
There are different types of artwork transfer to the garments. Usually images are applied to the surface of the garment but there are also transfers that are being absorbed by the fabrics and there are called sublimation transfers.
- Inexpensives when ordered in small quantities.
- This type of printing is clean and environmentally safe
- several colors can be used as long it does not overlap
- The color cannot be layered as the garments will become heavy.
- Print does not breathe well and may cause sweating towards user.
- Time consuming. The process consist of cutting the paper according to each artwork therefore it may take time and customer have to wait a while before getting the product.
Basically embroidery is sewing on garments. The sewing process used special sewing machine to works. Usually done on polo tees, embroidery also become an option in decorating a caps. This type of printing is suitable to enchance professional looks for bussiness need.
- The sewing surely last for a long time
- Enhance professional looks
- The artwork must be simplified so it can be easily embroidered
- Small detail may not look good
- This type of printing is limited to a few colors
(4) Screen Printing (Silk Screen)
Lastly, the screen printing. It is said as traditional method but still become the most popular printing method nowadays. Can be used to print bold colors, full color and variety of effects. Different inks can be used to achieve different effects. Therefore mostly customer would be recommended to choose this type of printing as main option.
- Last longer for well screen-printed shirt
- Can handle small details of artworks
- Very cost benefit for large amout of order
- Full colors and variant of effects
- Looks good in quality for dark and light garments
- Works on all type of materials
- Expensives when order in small amount
- Eventhough the colors used may vary, each additional color may add cost.
- Coated fabrics cannot be screen printed
However, the choice is in your hand. We just define briefly the concept of each printing method that may suitable for your need. Sometimes customer get confused of what printing method that they need to choose. Therefore, we hope that this blog may somehow help you choose wisely of what is good to be decorate on your apparel. Cheers.